The most important part of our business is the product, that starts with the animal, and ends with the smoke.
- We buy our fish through one of the industry’s leading experts. He understands that we will only take the very finest fish, and also that some sources are better at different times of the year.
We source our fish from farms which are situated in areas of strong currents and big tides – this means they swim far more, which produces a leaner and meaner texture – no ghastly oiliness with our fish.
- These come from our own farm, where sparkling springs feed our 38 ponds full of brown and rainbow trout. We’ve been raising fish for re-stocking into the rivers and lakes of southern England for nearly 40 years. Such fish have to fight like tigers and be perfectly formed. Therefore, we’ve always produced less fish per pond than a table farm and feed them like the champions they are – so they’re not the flabby, muddy tasting creatures that you’ve so often been passed off with. They’re as close to wild trout as you’ll ever find. Quite a few of our regulars prefer the smoked trout to salmon. In times of high demand, we source trout from old friends who have a farm on the legendary river Test. We can’t taste the difference.
- These come from the north sea for the finest quality and consistently large size. They arrive here full of oil and goodness. Our smoked mackerel are not the dried out husks that you’ll find hiding in your local hypermarket.
- Again, we use fish from the south-west which have been either seine-netted or line caught.
- South-west herrings are currently too small for a hearty appetite, so we source ours from the North Sea, landed in Scotland.
- Duck and Chicken Breasts
- These come from south Devon and are all free range. They’re reared on a low density GM-free diet which is completely free of antibiotics or growth promoters.
- We use rolled haunches of red deer, reared in a Hampshire deer park.
- All our packaging will ensure our product arrives with you cool and ready to devour. The boxes, ice packs and insulated bags are reusable and not only functional but finish off a present that you would be proud to give and thrilled to receive.
- Our ethical smoke
- We use oak and apple wood from British trees, specially graded to produce the optimum size of tiny wee chippings that suit our wonderful old smoker.
If you subscribe to our marvellous box scheme, we’ll give you the chance to send a FREE pressie to a friend. When you receive your first goodie box, you’ll find a voucher inside with the value and a code on it. Simply pop along to our website, place an order like you normally would and at the checkout, type in your friend’s address and the voucher code. Bob’s your uncle, a very chuffed friend.
Box schemes are paid by monthly direct debit and we’ll email you a reminder before we send your goodies out, which will give you the chance to ring Mark on 01308 456 306 to adjust your order, should you need to. The bigger the box, the better the value, as the size of your discount depends on the total price of your basket.
Our cancellation policy is simple, we can't imagine why you'd every want to, but just give Mark a call 01308 456 306. Please note that you’re signing up to a minimum of three months and we can’t accept cancellations unless your reasons for cancelling are within our standard terms and conditions.